It’s that time of year, when we’re thrilled to hop out of the frying pan (read: indoor kitchen) and into the fire, as in firing up the grill. Want to throw a super easy BBQ bash for the family, one that’s cooked to perfection? We’re here for you, with tips, tricks, tools, and recipes that are sure to make you the guru of your grill.
Bite Me More’s Top 5 Grilling Tips
- Remove grilling ingredients from the refrigerator 20 minutes in advance to bring them to room temperature, and, with the lid closed, preheat your grill for 10-15 minutes before starting. A preheated grill sears your food on contact, prevents food from sticking, and gives it that caramelized grilled flavour.
- Resist the urge to poke or flip your food too much (rule of thumb is flip only once). Give the food time to sear and develop a nice crust.
- To avoid flare-ups (and burnt food), keep the lid down as much as possible, as doing so limits the amount of oxygen (and thus, fire) inside the grill.
- A meat thermometer is the most accurate way to ensure proper cooking. Remove food from the grill just before desired doneness, as it continues to cook a few degrees while resting off the heat. While resting, the juices will settle back into the meat, so wait at least 5 minutes before cutting into it.
- It’s easiest to clean your grill when it’s hot. Using a proper grill brush, clean off charred debris immediately after you’ve finished cooking for easy removal.
5 Essential Tools of the Trade
Outset Lux Collection 3-Piece Grill Tool Set
This durable, weatherproof set not only looks great (hello, brushed stainless steel), but also contains a sturdy spatula, locking tongs, and a brass-bristled grill brush that’s safe on all grill grate surfaces.
Outset Non-Stick Grill Grids
Move aside burgers and get fired up because your grill just got a healthy makeover with these grids. Perfect for small and large vegetables alike, these easy to clean, non-stick grids will keep everything from falling through the BBQ grates.
Outset Profession High-Temperature Grill Glove
Whether we’re working in the kitchen or out on the grill, we’ve got both hands covered with these amazing gloves. They’re comfortable, they help us easily grip with their non-slip surface, the long cuffs protect our bare arms, and they can be used in temperatures up to 475ºF.
Outset Grill LED 360-Degree Rotation LED Light
If the sun has set, you’re going to need this bright, rain and heat-resistant LED grill light – easy to clamp anywhere, you’ll never be in the dark again (at least, while grilling).
The Bite Me Cookbooks
While we aren’t trying to toot our own horns (toot, toot), we’re proud to say that throughout our 4 best-selling cookbooks, we’ve lit our (and thousands of Biters’) fires with countless grilling recipes for vegetables, poultry, fish, and meat.